Monday, September 25, 2017

And So it Begins

This blog is going to be used mainly for my thoughts, views, video links, etc on various aspects of pro wrestling. I have in the past written for various newsletters (as I contribute to one based in Australia now run by Dan Lennard) and I HAVE, worked for a couple indy groups when I lived in New Hampshire back in the 90's (proof will be provided in this blog). So my insight in to the Wrestling business thanks to working behind the scenes in three of them, along with the legends that in one form or another worked with them, became a school of knowledge that is priceless and has honed my views on the business. Which nine times out of ten clashes totally opposite with the 'current era' of fans out there today that think high spots and barely any 'selling' is the way it should be.

We'll start with this. The link is to something I wrote many years ago on a long forgotten webpage. it's about how I got my break into the wrestling business thanks to a former WWF prelim wrestler(who was also a mid-card guy in Canada) by the name of Silvano Sousa. http://prowrestlingtapes.angelfire.com/awf.html I'll be posting some video links from some various matches of The Atlantic Wrestling Federation which include the late Steve Bradley (who had at one time a WWE Developmental deal and worked Memphis and HWA in Ohio, facing the likes of Kurt Angle, etc) and Matt Bloom who went on to be Prince Albert in WWE, Giant Bernard in Japan and is a current trainer in NXT.

Next we have this http://prowrestlingtapes.angelfire.com/WWA.html which is something I wrote on my time With World Wrestling Alliance New England, a company that had the WWF training Dojo on their shows (which was run by Dory Funk Jr, Bruce and Tom Pritchard and had Jim Cornette on it too. As well as various 'big names' that were in the WWE in 1997-98). There's a few of these Dojo show matches available on Youtube if you know where to look. I know where to look so I'll have them posted here too.

After that is this. http://prowrestlingtapes.angelfire.com/ewa.html Working for the Eastern Wrestling Alliance when they were based in Maine. There's acouple videos of that I'll be posting here as well.

But one of the most important articles I ever wrote would be this one right here. This was published in the Wrestling Then and Now newsletter back in 1998.  http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/thenandnow/articles/promoter.html as this was an article I wrote about the details of locally promoting my very first show with WWA New England. Rochester, New Hampshire is the toughest town in the state of N.H. to promote in because it's what's known as a 'permit' town. You have to go in front of the city council, to get approval, and THEN. Go in front of the city managing committee after that. A long grueling thing but I went thru it because, I lived in that town, so what better place than the town I lived in to have a show. ALOT of what is written here from back then, still works today and ALOT of indy promoters DON'T do it and then cry when they have low attendance at their shows. I went thru it so I know this formula works.

I also wrote this for WT&N as well. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/thenandnow/articles/artone.html growing up in Chicago I grew up on AWA and Bob Luce (and Dick The Bruiser's) WWA in Indiana. So I write about old and new, the then and the now which is what this blog is going to be about. Indy groups I watch on a regular basis (as in every week their tv show ism posted on Youtube) are as follows. West Coast Wrestling Connection, Booker T's Reality of Wrestling, Appalachian Mountain Wrestling (from Kentucky), WWA (which runs Kentucky as well, though I have like three of their major shows to catch up on, lol) House of Bricks out of Massachusetts, along with occasionally watching AIWF, WCPW, ICW, and more. I recently caught a show called"Studio Wrestling" that I think used to be called NWA Mid-South Wrestling (It was on Matt Rivera's Youtube channel) which I absolutely loved. Damion Wayne has become a new fave for me to watch.

So this is an example of what's to come on this blog. Shots 'below the belt' speaking the truth or a very honest opinion on whatever in Pro Wrestling, clips from then and now and a lot of various indy things will be posted here. Other places focus on EVOLVE, PROGRESS, ROH but there's so many other groups that not many get to see, and should. I'd rather watch Indy wrestling over WWE, GFW/Impact/ whatever the fuck they're calling themselves this week because that. Is where I get the wrestling fix I want. WWE hasn't been able to do that almost ten years and it's obvious they dobn't want a fan like myself anymore. Impact Wrestling is so inconsistent with their week to week booking it's too much of a headache to watch. But thankfully with Jeff Jarrett gone (which IS funny because this is the second time he's been forced to leave HIS OWN company, something a lot of other 'wrestling journalists' have failed to mention) hopefully the 'Jarrett is Russo' booking will stop.

And so it begins with this and now I can start adding clips and whatnot to expand this blog to new horizons and help give some exposure to some smaller indy groups that certain 'wrestling sites' won't do because it doesn't monetize them at all (Dave Scherer's exact words about it two days ago in his mailbag on PWInsider, may produce a link to that to show).

So if you happen to come across this, thanks for reading and hope you like all the things that will be posted here. :)

No comments: